A total of fourteen (14) directors have emerged as new principals in some of the nation’s Unity schools, according to a memo from the Federal Ministry of Education….CONTINUE READING....CONTINUE READING
The memo, signed by the Director of Human Resources, Federal Ministry of Education, David Gende, and dated August 3, 2023, reveals that the 14 newly appointed principals emerged after a “rigorous oral interview” stage.
According to the memo, the federal government screened out a total of 37 directors who were in the race to become principals of some of the nation’s Unity schools.
However, out of the 65 directors who took the computer-based test as a prerequisite for the appointment on July 25, 2023, 14 failed and were screened out while 51 directors passed.
A follow-up oral interview examination was then scheduled for the 51 directors who passed the CBT on Friday, July 28, 2023, at the Ministry of Education in Abuja.
The memo released on Thursday has however, revealed that after the oral interview, only 14 directors were appointed principals, leaving out the rest 37 directors.
The memo read: “Consequent upon completion of the selection process of new principals for the Federal Unity Colleges to fill some consequential vacancies occasioned by the tenure policy introduced in 2022, I am directed to notify you of the appointment of the underlisted officers as principals following their success in the computer-based test and oral interview.
“The principals are to undergo induction/orientation preparatory to deployment on a date to be communicated.”
The ministry, in an earlier memo, explained that it was conducting the process for the selection of principals in federal unity schools to replace principals that had spent six years and above.
NECO says it would not tolerate actions that undermine the integrity of its examinations
Meanwhile, registrar of the National Examinations Council, NECO, Professor Dantani Wushishi on Friday, vowed that the commission would not tolerate actions that undermine the integrity of its examinations across the country especially examinations malpractice.
The registrar gave the warning while briefing journalists after touring some Schools to monitor the ongoing SSCE examinations in Jos, Plateau state.
The Registrar said, “We have visited other states before coming to Plateau state and interacted with the stakeholders as well.
“From what we have found from the places we have visited, the examination is ongoing as planned. There is no major issue as far as the conduct of the examination is concerned. From our own end, we have done the delivery of materials and it has been very fantastic. I can tell you that the 2023 examination is the most successful.
He added that the body is making efforts to curb examination malpractice in the country. He said, “education is very important. One major important measure we have put in place to stop the issue of examination malpractice is awareness.
“We have sponsored jingles in the national media on malpractice and we have internal monitors to monitor exams. We have different forms of malpractice and sanctions.
“So, at the end of the ongoing examinations, we will assess the level of involvement of malpractice by candidates, supervisors, and other staff involved through our Malpractice Committee because we need to stop examinations malpractice in our school system “
While noting the economic challenges currently troubling the nation as a major setback, Professor Dantani said it has slightly affected the number of students that registered for the SSCE exams this year and attributed the drop in registration to the inability of state governments to register more candidates as is often the case.
He said, “this year we registered a total of One million, two hundred and five thousand, eight hundred and eighty-eight as against last year’s one million, two hundred and nine .so there is a slight decline in the number. This year, 621, 74 male candidates were registered while 584, 814 female candidates were registered.
“Some states are indebted to NECO, but they are responding positively to that. As of last year, the amount of money being owed was N3.3 Billion, but there is considerable response on their part.”
The registrar had visited Air Force Boys secondary school, Jos, Kings and Queens Academy, Emmanuel International College, among others….CONTINUE READING