As Much As ₦1Million May Be Demanded As New Minimum Wage If Tinubu Government Doesn’t Check Inflation –NLC
Joe Ajaero, the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress has said that organised labour may demand up to N1 million as the new minimum wage for Nigerian workers if the rising inflation remains unchecked.
Ajaero said the demand for organised labour would be determined by the cost of living which has skyrocketed since President Bola Tinubu came to power following the removal of fuel subsidy and other policies.
The NLC and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) on Thursday issued a 14-day strike notice to the Nigerian government
The unions, in a statement, said they were furious over the government’s failure to implement a 16-point agreement signed in October 2023, which aimed to address the “massive suffering” caused by the hike in petrol prices and naira devaluation, policies blamed for the worsening hardship and inflation.
The NLC and TUC issued a stern ultimatum to the government to honour its part of the understanding within 14 days starting from Friday, February 9, 2024.
In an interview with Arise News on Sunday evening, Ajaero said, “This N1 million may be relevant if the value of the Nigerian (naira) continues to depreciate; if the inflation continues unchecked because the demand of labour is equally dependent on what is happening in the society
“You will remember that by the time we were contemplating N200,000 (as minimum wage), the exchange rate was about N800/N900 (to a dollar). As we talk today, the exchange rate is about N1,400 or even more.
“Those are the issues that determine the demand and it is equally affecting the cost of living. And we have always said that our demand will be based on the cost of living index. You will agree with me today that even a bag of rice is going for about N60,000/N70,000 or more. A bag of locally produced corn is about N56,000 or more. Foodstuff is getting out of reach, now are we going to get a minimum wage that will not be enough for transportation even for one week?
Obi mourns Access Holdings CEO, Wigwe
The 2023 presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, has mourned the Group Chief Executive Officer, Access Holdings Plc, Herbert Wigwe, who was feared dead in a helicopter crash in California near the Nevada border, United States of America.
The former Anambra State governor’s condolence message was contained in a statement he posted on his X handle on Sunday.
Obi wrote, “I’m deeply saddened by the tragic news of the passing of my dear friend, Mr. Herbert Wigwe, CEO of Access Holdings, along with his wife and son, and another close friend, Abimbola Ogunbanjo, former group chairman of NGX Group.
“This loss is profoundly felt across the nation. I first met Herbert during his early days, on the brink of starting his marital journey
“I vividly remember assisting him in preparing for his traditional wedding and being there for the ceremony with his wife, Chizoba, from Achina, Anambra State. Since then, I’ve maintained a connection to his endeavours in my own modest ways.
“Herbert, a determined and forward-thinking individual, led Access Bank to new heights following his brother Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede.
“The loss of such an exceptional individual reminds us of life’s fleeting nature, encouraging us to live with a purpose that contributes to the betterment of humanity. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with Herbert, his beloved wife, his son, and all those who lost their lives in the tragic plane crash.
Fayose seeks law regulating social media usage
Former Governor of Ekiti State, Mr Ayodele Fayose, on Sunday, made a case for the regulation of social media with law for both platform owners and users to prevent abuse.
Fayose said, “Social media has become very important to our existence, no doubt, but there must be regulations guiding its usage.”
The former governor, in a post on his verified X handle on Sunday, stated, “The truth we must all face is that we can’t keep operating an unregulated social media. Usage must be regulated in line with law for both platform owners and users.
“The world over, social media is playing major roles in crime fighting and Nigeria is not an exception.
“However, good as the social media has become, the level of its abuse and use for misinformation is worrisome. No society or responsible government will fold its arms at these excesses. It is being done in other countries.
“Though it is normal for Nigerians to be suspicious of government regulations, but users with good intentions have nothing to fear.”
Early last week, President Bola Tinubu’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, said that social media has become a societal menace and must be regulated.
EXCLUSIVE: How Imo Governor Uzodimma Violated Appropriations Law, Spent N2.5Billion On Government House Vehicles Without Budgetary Allocation
Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodimma, spent N2.5 billion between October and December 2023 to buy ‘Government House vehicles’, a copy of the state budget performance report obtained by SaharaReporters has revealed
Government House vehicles are official cars used by the governor, his wife, the deputy governor, his wife and their aides.
The report titled ‘Imo State Fourth Quarter (October – December) 2023 Budget Performance,’ was posted on the state government’s website.
The document shows that the Uzodimma spent N2,458,000,000 on the purchase of Government House vehicles without budgetary allocation in the 2023 budget approved by the Imo State House of Assembly.
According to the Nigerian constitution, spending by governors without the approval of the state lawmakers is extra-budgetary and illegal.
While nothing was budgeted and approved in the Imo 2023 budget for the purchase of Government House vehicles, the governor within three months violated the state’s appropriation law and spent N2.5 billion on the vehicles.
Another N2.3 billion was also spent by the governor on the Imo Security Organization without budgetary allocation and approval by the state assembly.
The election was roundly criticised and rejected by opposition parties – the Labour Party and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) which adjudged the poll as suppressive, violent and rigged.
He was first declared governor of Imo State in January 2020 by the Supreme Court which nullified the declaration of Emeka Ihedioha of the PDP as the winner of the March 9, 2019 governorship election in the state.