Farmers in over 19 villages in Ondo West Local Government Area of Ondo State have staged a massive protest over the alleged plans by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu to displace them from their villages for the benefit of a private firm owned by a Chinese company…..CONTINUE READING....CONTINUE READING
The protesters gathered were over 50,000 and are mostly farmers who depend solely on farm produce and cash crops to survive.
At a protest on Sunday, the local farmers said they had been in the villages for more than 100 years and inherited the communities from their forefathers.
Armed with placards bearing various inscriptions, they alleged that the state government had issued them a notice of evacuation, informing them that their land had been sold to a foreign private firm.
The leader of the community, Olalani Ibidapo, said the villagers who are all into the farming business were saddened by the alleged eviction from their land.
Mr Ibidapo explained that the decision of the government led by Mr Akeredolu to evict them was unacceptable and could lead to problems and crime for the youths in the village.
A youth leader in the village, Mr Isaacs Akinserinwa said they are aware that the government plans to sell off the land to foreigners.
He explained that proceeding with the plans would lead to suffering for the villagers, pleading that the government should rescind its alleged decision.
Others who spoke alleged that the action of the government to evict them from their lands has led to the death of some farmers whose farmland had been allegedly destroyed by newly brought-in occupants.
They, however, appealed to President Bola Tinubu to wade in and prevail on Governor Akeredolu to rescind his decision to evacuate them from their villages…..CONTINUE READING