Breaking News

BREAKING: Villagers flee as suspected herdsmen attack Benue communities, kill two and raze over 17 houses

Gunmen suspected to be armed herders have claimed two lives in the communities of Ikpele and Okpokpolo in the Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State.

A source from the community, known as Oche, revealed to Punch on Wednesday that the attack occurred on Tuesday night, January 23, 2024. Many residents have fled the communities, and others are currently missing.

Oche also mentioned that the attackers set several houses ablaze. “They (gunmen) attacked Ikpele and Okpokpolo and other places on Tuesday night throughout, and we are yet to get the exact number of persons killed,” Oche said. “There was a serious battle until around 10 pm. Two bodies have so far been recovered. Many houses were burnt. In fact, within the attacked community yesterday in the night, at least 17 burnt houses were counted.”

PAY ATTENTION:  BREAKING: Shettima unveils committee on energy transition, targets $2.5b

He added that residents of the affected communities had deserted their homes.

Confirming the attack, a former Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Mike Inalegwu, who hails from the local government, said tension was high in the council area.

“The truth is that yesterday (Tuesday) the armed herdsmen attacked Okpokpolo village and killed two persons while the villagers were thinking of their speculative attack on the Ogbai community. Tension is high, and the seven villages on the Kogi border of the local government are deserted. This is authoritative,” he said.

PAY ATTENTION:  Anxiety as FG moves to delist unverified workers from payroll

The Special Adviser to Governor Hyacinth Alia on Security and Internal Affairs, Joseph Har, also confirmed the attack. However, he mentioned that he was not told that people were killed.

The Tuesday attack occurred barely a week after suspected armed herders launched an attack on some communities in the council, resulting in the death of three soldiers and two others.

PAY ATTENTION:  BREAKING: Fani Kayode Reveals Why Tinubu Should Condemn Mass Murder Of Innocent Women, Children In Gaza

The Force Commander of the Operation Whirl Stroke, Maj. Gen. Sunday Igbinowanhia, while confirming the attack, said the two soldiers and personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps were killed while preventing the attack in Okokolo.

“The success achieved was, however, at a huge cost, with three of the troops paying the supreme sacrifice to prevent the killing of the inhabitants of Okokolo and the intended sacking of the community,” he stated.

Related posts

JUST IN: Court dismisses Davido’s objections to suits filed against him

RecentGist

Sagay Blames Tinubu for Nigerians’ Suffering

RecentGist

BREAKING: El-Rufai Warns Governor Uba Sani, Tells Him Not To Appoint His Friends Who Will Not Perform

RecentGist

DSS 2023 Recruitment: Nigerian Army Distances Self From Viral Publications

RecentGist

Just In: Atiku Urges PDP, LP, NNPP, SDP, Others To Merge, Wrestle Power From APC

RecentGist

PHOTOS: Nasarawa governor attends son’s wedding in US

RecentGist

BREAKING: “Simon Ekpa sabotaging our efforts in the southeast” – Chief of Defence Staff tells Reps

RecentGist

Wife of the year: Mocked for waking up at 5 am to cook for husband, woman rakes in millions

RecentGist

Atiku: “I’m Not Sure What Law These People Want Us to Follow in This Nation”, According to Onokpasa

RecentGist